You might ask yourself, why should I detox?
You may answer yourself (aloud if you're slightly crazier than most):
“Because I eat poorly, my health is in decline and I am over-weight, even if just a little.”
And those are fantastic reasons. Usually the top top 3 “Shifts” that take place when you detox.
But there are so many profound shits that happen during the course of even just a 10 day detox.
The following is Dr. Hyman's top 10 Shifts that happen during a detox. My personal favorite is #8 which he expands on here:
Sex hormones, toxicity, and healthy insulin balance are more intimately linked than you might think. We’ve somehow thought low sex drive and other symptoms become normal as we age. They don’t. Libido-crashing mood disorders in women and men reaching for a “little blue pill” do not need to be a part of the aging process. Bad habits such as drinking and smoking, exposure to environmental toxins, and being chronically stressed all diminish sex hormone balance. When you do The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet, you eliminate toxins (and yes, sugar is a toxin) that create hormonal imbalances and wreak havoc on your metabolism. Once you understand how insulin can impact other hormones (including your sex hormones), you begin to connect the dots about how toxic food and a toxic environment can wreck your sex life.
1. Break Free From The Mammoth, Health Hostage-holding Food Industry
2. Will Feel Full And Satisfied
3. Become A Shining Example To Others And Future Generations
4. Save Money
5. Discover Renewed Vigor
6. Lose Weight
7. Eliminate Cravings
8. Have More Fulfilling Sex
9. Discover A Deeper Connection With Yourself
10. Simplify Your Food Choices
You can read more detail about Dr. Hyman's top 10 here.
I would add to this list a few shifts I am found of, both in the short-term and long term.
- Cure Illness & Disease: Yes, we can say that. It's true, and scientifically proven. Fasting, a common form of detox, reduces cholesterol, inflammation, reverses diabetes, epilepsy, and even reboots your immune system causing a further cascade of cures into wellness.
- Sets a Water Standard: When you're fasting you drink a lot of water. We are all under-hydrated to the point of causing disease. You should be drinking enough water to have 10 long, fulfilling bladder evacuations each day. Count em. See where you're at.
- Understand Your Addictions: Yes, Dr. Hyman talks about “Eliminating Cravings” but if we just eliminate them, we don't understand them. The first thing to note, is some cravings are good. They tell us what vitamins and minerals we're deficient in. Just ask my pregnant wife. Others show us what we're addicted too. Some are physical foods like sugar and carbs. Others are emotional drivers that we sooth with sugar and carbs. “#9 Discover a deeper connection with yourself” combined with #7 Eliminate Cravings” = my #3 – Understand Your Addictions. Then make peace with them. That's when it's time to let those cravings go forever.
What do you think?
What is your number 1 reason FOR, or benefit FROM Detox, Cleansing and Fasting?
Please leave a comment in the post with your feedback. Your input crafts our message, and compliments our understanding.