The No C.R.A.P. Diet
All reputable detox and weight loss programs all have this in common, because it's so obvious isn't it?
Well at least some aspects are. Take foods for example.
There are outright toxic foods with absolutely ZERO nutritional value. You know what many of these are. They are highly processed, and chemically created "foods" (yes I am talking to you Double Stuff Oreo's and Cheesy Puffs). They are always packaged, and each ingredient is long, has numbers, or you can not pronounce.
And, most of us today, have at least some basic understanding that many "whole" foods, that are largely nutritious, can also be "stepped-on" through refinement, or the addition of smaller amounts of chemical ingredients.
So if we're being detailed oriented about eliminating these toxic ingredients we must also be committed to eliminate those foods which are easy for us to apologize for, making excuses to continue eating them because they say "natural" on the packages.
What's more, even foods that are clearly "whole", like a single apple, can have more toxins in it or on it than one of those Double Stuffs.
Yes, most of know at least in passing how dangerous pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides are, even in small amounts. And don't you wish that they were just used in small amounts?
The sad truth is that in the last 10 years we've tripled our usage of the number and types of these "homo"-cides, and quadrupled the total count of parts found on our produce. And even since some countries started banning the worst ones we could identify, that doesn't stop them from coming into those countries from other countries that haven't banned them.
"That's why we invented Organic Foods", you might say.
Well, you'd be wrong again (that's ok, I was too).
Organic foods still contain many, many pesticides. They just don't have a select few that can qualify them as "Organic"
In fact, organic farmers do use pesticides. The only difference is that they're "natural" instead of "synthetic." And the natural pesticides have been found to be as toxic as the synthetic ones.
AND (yes there is another and), if that wasn't enough, even if we could find a perfectly whole and naturally anything-cide free food, it can still be dangerous and even deadly.
The "Big 8" including peanuts, tree-nuts, dairy, eggs, seafood, wheat and soy can be overwhelming toxins to the human body.
Many of these we eat regardless of, and unaware of our "micro" sensitivities, or slight allergic reactions that are not debilitating, but cause on-going drag on our immune and other body systems.
So what do we do?
Eliminate C.R.A.P. Foods
- Created, Completely, Commercial, Chemical, Cooked
- Refined, Re-Engineered: Food that has had parts removed, leaving it with less nutrients than when it was whole. i.e. white rice. Food that is Genetically Modified or engineered (GMO)
- Allergenic, Artificial
- Processed, Packaged, Pesticides, Produced: Processed in a way that denatures the food, including many cooking methods.
Now it must be said that you can not make this a fanatical addiction. Rather, simply arm yourself with some understanding and tools to do your best to get the best quality foods you can. In today's world it's very difficult to avoid all these CRAP foods altogether. BUT, we can try!
Now if that wasn't enough, we still have toxic water, air, energy, emotions and thoughts to attend to.
The first 2 water and air are more addressable to most. Use filters to get the most active, pure and beneficial form of water and air you can.
When you talk about energy you start to get some blank faces. Have you heard of EMF or Electro-Magnetic Fields? Probably a little.
While it's still unclear and suffering from hordes of dis-information as to how much or what sources is dangerous, the evidence is staggering. This could mean limiting connected (wireless), and even disconnected screen time, or moving away from those power-lines across behind your house.
Then take it to the level that "Everything is Energy" including your emotions, thoughts and holistic body systems, and that they all interact, you really get some obvious push-back of "enough already", and rightfully so.
That's a lot to think about.
So in the spirit of simplistic progress and not perfection, just know that we're working towards the goal of simplified approaches, and sound information to help you live your life well.
Just stop to think.
Become aware. Notice if the Food, Water, Air, Energy, Emotions and Thoughts you chose to consume or indulge are truly serving your desire for wellness and if you have an alternative choice at your disposal.
Eliminate C.R.A.P. Water and Air Too
Yes, of course not all water and air is quality.
We all know the obvious signs: pollution, smog, brown water, sludge. We wouldn't drink from, or bathe in a sewer, nor wish to run behind a diesel truck.
But it gets much hard to know quality water and air with it's clear, smells pretty, and has tasty flavours (especially when the manufacturers take such measure in marketing).
While we pay most attention to food in our diets did you know that we take in far more elements, chemicals etc. into our bodies that we do by eating?
We could go deep into detail about Pure Water and Pure Air, and which is the best way to obtain a trusted and available source but in short there are 2 types you want:
- Natural Springs: Naturally occurring and next to perfect. Think mountain springs and rivers, gusts of air fresh from a summer storm coming off the ocean.
- Purified and Optimized: If it's not a pure natural source, we need to purify it to eliminate the crap. But, we also need to revitalize it because often the process of purification steals valuable elements. We have gone overboard on being sterilized. We need minerals, sure, but there are even energetic qualities of the molecular structure that are either optimal or not. Seek sources who speak to various process to revitalize and optimize their purified water and air.
Eliminate C.R.A.P. Thoughts
It's been said:
We are what we eat.
It's also been said (although much more recently):
We are what we think about what we eat.
We are what we think.
Crap thoughts are poisonous on their own. Negative, worse-case, fear, anxiety, panic, self-doubt; the whole spectrum of these vitality robbing emotions can be even more troubling when we're secretly hating what we eat, drink and breath.
The wonder of Placebo has show us that its possible to eat, drink and breath poorly, but LOVE doing it, and suffer far less physical and emotional damage than if we HATE ourselves for doing it.
Ideally, we'd strive for No CRAP Food, Water and Air, and have wonderful thoughts about the wellness giving process.
As so many diet haters will tell you, most of the time, we dread what we're "giving" up, and blame what we have for the lack of what we're addicted to.
Like the Placebo, the Nocebo (yes it's a real thing) is just the opposite.
We can forgo the benefits of what we're doing, and attract negative outcomes, as if we're still eating CRAP, just because we're toxic emotionally and mentally.
So how do we CLEAR these toxic thoughts away, and replace them with life-giving nutritious thoughts? Consider these complimentary practices and disciplines (more on these below in Step 6 - Support Your Systems). What was once "psuedoscience" is now science.
- Epigenetics: Not too long ago we thought our gene's determined our health. But now we know how we can influence our DNA, essentially changing our genetic destiny.
- Neural Plasticity: Similarly, we thought our brains were hard-wired after child-hood (old dogs new tricks). But it turns our we can re-wire, remove wires, and create new wires all through life.
- Neural Linguistic Programming: An example of Neural Plasticity in action, NLP uses word/mind associations to facilitate changes in the way we think and feel about what we think.
- Mind-Body Medicine: Mind-body medicine uses the power of thoughts and emotions to influence physical health. As Hippocrates once wrote, "The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well." This is mind-body medicine in a nutshell.
- Meditation: Long known to be the beneficial to regulating emotions, relieving stress, meditation can be used as a tool to reprogram our brains and personalities.
- Visualization: Complemented by Meditation, visualization, or projecting the future we wish to manifest. Though you might think this is "visual", visualization is more than seeing the future, it's multi-sensory and must be connected to the person by an emotional association. It has to feel real.