An approach still new in many of our eyes even through we may have heard of it more than a few times since it was invented nearly 30 years ago and adopted by thousands of Doctors, clinicians and practitioners world wide.
Let’s consider for a moment that losing weight, and indeed GAINING weight, often has less to do with our diet and exercise than is commonly decried as the way to shed pounds and to be healthy.
So this New Year, in the midst of the resolutions that 80% of you have made, and that half of you will forget completely about, I want to introduce, or re-introduce you to a true phenomenon, a figurative (and literal) finger pointing towards the science, medicine and weight loss routine of the future, and indeed of today.
Tapping for Weight Loss (Emotional Freedom Technique to Lose Weight)
This report comes to you on the eve of the opening of the 2013 Tapping World Summit, an online (and FREE) coaching conference, led by the most experienced and influential figures in the avante guarde world of wellness.
In the next few pages of this report we’ll cover the following (and in reverse order):
- What Tapping/EFT is
- Why Tapping/EFT Relevant to Weight Loss, Cleansing and Detox
- Who Tapping/EFT is for
- How Tapping For Weight Loss works
- How to use Tapping for Weight Loss” with two exercises to get started today.
In research of this report, I looked at my past experience with tapping, and the Documentary called “The Tapping Solution” produced by Nick Ortner (founder/producer of The Tapping Solution and the Tapping World Summit).
I also reviewed Jessica Ortner’s own Weight Loss and Body Confidence Program using Tapping/EFT as the basis for clearing emotional blockage to losing weight, and the causes for gaining it, that far supersede the diet and exercise that can fail repeatedly despite the most dire hopes and efforts, of those who neglect to address their emotional body for sake of their physical one.
What Exactly is “Tapping“
Tapping is a simple 30 second process, also known as EFT or Emotional Freedom Technique, that is repeated continuously like a prayer, mantra or affirmation, by touching, “tapping” or otherwise activating meridian points on the face and upper body, while simultaneously engaging the pschological “ideas” of pain, concern, fear or other negatively charged emotions that we feel on a regular basis.
In other words. It is a combination of Ancient Chinese Acupressure and Modern Psychology.
This procedure was developed originally by Roger Callahan in the 1980’s and later modified and then expanded upon by Gary Craig.
Since then, countless thousands of doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, practitioners, therapists, coaches and individual users have adopted this powerfully simple technique for use not only on their clients, students and patients, but also on themselves and their family members.
It’s really very simple to understand when you watch it being done. So here’s a video of Bob Proctor and others explaining what tapping is and how to do it:
Why Tapping is Relevant for Weight Loss, Cleansing and Detox
At the core of Body Weight is Self Image, which is painfully obvious for anybody trying and failing to lose weight. And even more so for those who actually gain weight when dieting.
Clearly the term “vicious cycle” can be used to define the process of seeing yourself in the mirror, or witnessing your cravings for those certain foods (you know what they are), and then JUDGING YOURSELF, causing yourself doubt, shame, and fear. Then eating to soothe those negative emotions, feeling more guilt for the eating, which causes the weight gain and the cycle to begin again.
FEAR. PANIC. EAT.
Fear of not being able to lose the weight. Fear of not being able to stop yourself from eating. Fear from not being the “good” person who should be able to do this, and perhaps just as bad, Fear of even though deep down inside you “know” YOU CAN DO IT, that you may never achieve the life you would design for yourself if you could.
Ultimately perhaps you end up holding yourself back from meeting people, or going for a job, AND REACHING YOUR POTENTIAL like Jessica did.
You see, as Jessica puts it, EMOTIONS, including FEAR, they are at the ROOT, the VERY BASIC LEVEL OF WEIGHT GAIN and they are also the SECRET TO WEIGHT LOSS and long term correction of bad eating habits, but even more so, lifestyle, interpersonal and loving your SELF-CARE, habits.
You see, it’s the unconscious patterns, beliefs and programming in our brains that run our lives.
We all have them. That’s what we are. We are as much anything else a collection of experiences.
From the age of “0(zero)”, even as a fetus, perhaps even before, we are establishing memories, systems for behaviour, and entrenching those that are repeated often or accompanied by traumatic emotionally charged experiences.
From the first time we burn our finger, through layers of self doubt cast upon us by unknowing and probably otherwise lovely people. Also sometimes, tragically by repeated abuse.
Where the Master Cleanse is great at cleansing of our “Physical Bodies” of toxic chemicals, and shines a light upon the emotional cleanse we all need as well, Tapping, or Emotional Freedom Technique is a detox for our “Emotional Bodies”, paving the way for the opposite of FEAR:
You can lose weight, gain confidence and become your true self — all with Tapping, or so it would seem by the glowing testimonials, stories, and indeed research and practice by people I have come to know and trust.
Tapping for the Masses: Who is EFT For?
Simply put – it’s for everyone.
Here are 5 reason why we think so:
1. We all feel emotions and have been through traumas in our lives that are due to be released for the sake of our health, our happiness and our ability to attract new, more positive and empowering experiences into our lives. EFT get rid of the garbage (limiting beliefs…) and maker room for new ways of being that could indeed help us to lose weight and more.
2. It’s FREE and so simple to learn. Maybe even too simple so your mind may try to convince you that this is BS, but trust the experts in personal development and heath field that are amazed be the results of those that actually use EFT ans commit to it as powerful solution to their live’s challenges.
3. It’s a tool/technique that you can use anywhere, anytime. You don’t need complicated equipment to start loosing the weight. You can just “talk to your body” into releasing the extra pounds alongs with the traumas, limiting beliefs and fears that have caused you to gain it in the first place.
4. Try it, you’ve got nothing to loose. This technique is not some fancy weight loss equipment that will end up sitting in your basement collecting dust and becoming another reason to feel like a failure, and more guilty (and farther in debt sometimes too).
5. It’s proven to create results and it does not discriminates. It doesn’t matter whether you a woman or man, what age or ethnicity you are. It will work for you if you are willing to commit to it and practice as long as you need to so your body can lighten up – emotionally and literally – physically.
We especially recommend this technique to women.
Jessica’s program, “Weight Loss and Body Confidence” seems directly suited to women as she further explains:
Studies are exposing the sad fact that 80% of women are dissatisfied with their body when they look in the mirror. I think that is very much the truth in our society today. We live in world of airbrushed images and illusionary perfection that triggers an emotional rollers coster in most us daily causing us to feel a range of emotions that are literally toxic and creating dis-easy in our bodies (which cloud be and many times is represented as weight gain as well).
These negative emotions and beliefs about our bodies trigger hormones that prevent us from losing weight and actually lead to additional weight gain.
In fact, roughly 2/3 of women in the United States are overweight, with 1/2 of those women being obese.
Most women focus on diet and exercise first in order to lose weight, and it’s unfortunately the wrong approach. Think about it. I am sure that have a friend or know someone who can est what ever they want and never gain weight it seams. They never or rarely go to gym yet THEY HAVE the body you are working so HARD to get. Seams unfair, but Iam sure that those people process life very differently than you do. I bet you they don’t stress the small stuff as much and have an ability to release the “garbage thoughts and beliefs” faster than those of us struggling with our weight.
For women and men alike, there are reasons though, each and every time, as to why the diets aren’t working, and they have nothing to do with the food (or the exercise).
How Tapping for Weight Loss Works (Scientifically Proven)
When something stressful happens, or you start thinking about something stressful, within seconds, the part of your brain called the amygdala (the almond-shaped part of your midbrain) tells your body to release specific hormones.
Adrenaline and cortisol (often called “the stress hormone”), floods your body, shutting down the creative problem-solving parts of your brain. And this causes two very big problems for somebody trying to lose weight.
In these times, it’s sadly difficult to claim with any certainty what is “Scientifically Proven”. Mostly because one study seems to contradict another, and one Doctor claims the other to be wrong.
And as with The Master Cleanse, no matter how many studies that come out “PROVING” this or that, there will always be detractors.
That being said, a growing body of studies have shown what we all instinctively know about our bodies and the stress that is largely the biggest destroyer of them.
Tapping, however, has been scientifically proven to eliminate negative emotions like stress, by allowing your body to go back into balance.
It utilizes knowledge of our “Energetic Body”, or meridians of energy that flows through our body like a river of electicity, from poles in our North (our heads) and our South (our feet).
Does this visual seem “shocking” (no pun intended). Think of a battery with the Plus and Minus. The polarity that object is the exact same indicator of the flow of energy through “bodies” such as the battery, and such as our Planet Earth, and our bodies that we lovingly call home, and often wish were slimmer, healthier, and yes even better looking.
What’s more, Tapping works with the “Emotional Body”, in essence by balancing activity between the sympathetic and parasympathetic regions of your brain, producing “a neutral emotional state,” the gold standard of health and wellness.
It helps us reprogram our negative emotions, to neutral, where we can then begin again to build new ones (hopefully positive ones with the help of Louise Hay – check this video out for a fantastic insight on the positive and negative).
Jessica articulates in her Tapping for Weight Loss program two major reasons why we are fat that go beyond diet and exercise of the “Physical Body”.
#1 – Stress Makes Us Eat, Gain Weight, and Fail to Lose It.
By now, many of us have heard of Cortisol, otherwise known as The STRESS HORMONE.
Cortisol is the number one thing that prevents people from losing weight –something that is very shocking to most when they first learn of it.
Most of us have no understanding of what was actually going on in our bodies biologically.
We don’t realize that because of our emotions we’re literally preventing ourselves from losing weight.
Things like…the stress, the anxiety, and the overwhelm we deal with when we’re trying to lose weight.
Most people are stressed on a regular basis.
Then try to put them on a diet where they’re trying to force themselves to lose weight and eliminate comfort foods…and forget about it!
Stress goes through the roof, leading ultimately to more weight gain.
Stress directly impacts our ability to lose weight and regulate our bodies ability to lose weight in several ways, most importantly the first two listed below in Food Cravings, and Digestion.
- Food Cravings: Stress constricts your blood vessels along with a few other key biological changes that control how you think, how your body and brain function, how strong your food cravings come on, and how quickly your brain can react to a given situation.
- Digestions: Stress slows down your digestion. And anytime you slow down your digestion it makes it harder to…you guessed it…lose weight!
- Nutrient Absorption: Stress also decreases your nutrient absorption- so even if you are eating well you won’t be able to absorb it well.
- Salt Retention: Stress causes salt to be retained making you bloated.
- Stress affects your cholesterol…
- Stress impacts your immune system, endocrine system, nervous system, Everything!
Stress Test Exercise
Now what good is all this talk about Stress, without a good old-fashioned exercise.
Yes, this is homework. Do it when your done reading. Or even now. NOW IS ALWAYS A GOOD TIME.
I picked up this Stress Test from the good folks at Dr. Oz Show.
Go through each of the following observations to test yourself for signs of stress:
- Nail and Hair Growth: Intense stress levels can put nails into a dormant resting phase. Measure your nail growth for 1 month. Nails that grow less than 2 millimeters can signal of stress. This same phenomenon holds true with hair; if you don’t need a hair cut every 3 months, you may be stressed.
- Sleep Habits: It’s a sign of stress if you’re unable to fall asleep within 30 minutes, or, if you’re waking up more than once a week in the middle of the night.
- Teeth Grinding/Jaw Clenching: Do you wake up with tooth pain or a sore jaw? If so, you’re probably grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw as you sleep, another sign of stress.
- Posture: Stand up straight against a wall. If both shoulders don’t make contact with the wall, it means you have hunched or raised shoulders, a chronic stress indicator.
- Biofeedback: Stress causes your extremities to become cold. Test your stress level with a biofeedback device, which measures body temperature through your finger. By thinking relaxing thoughts you can actually heat up your body temp and de-stress. You can order biofeedback cards in sets of 20 for about $35 online.
If you’ve determined that you have too much stress based on any of the above indicators, realize that you can control your body’s response to it and that Tapping is a fantastic way to begin to “Tap” into your own personal power to do so.
Now let’s look at the second reason why we “think” we can’t lose weight that doesn’t have anything to do with diet or exercise.
#2 – Deep Unconscious Traumas, Patterns and Beliefs Make Us Think we Can’t
When you stop to think about it…what beliefs do you have about your body?
If you’re like the rest of us, then it’s likely that deep unconscious traumas, patterns and beliefs about our weight, our bodies and ultimately about who we are.
When you stop to think about it…what beliefs do you have about your body?
The reality is that most of our challenges with weight loss come from deep-rooted issues from our childhood and adolescence.
Here’s what health expert Jon Gabriel, who lost over 220 pounds in his own weight loss journey, has to say about the effectiveness of Tapping for weight loss:
“At least 80% of the people I work with who are overweight have emotional or past trauma challenges contributing to their weight gain. Tapping is one of the simplest, most-effective tools anyone can use to immediately start seeing results.”
But never fear, in her presentation of her Tapping for Weight Loss Program, Jessica prepared another short exercise to help us take charge over these old patterns to begin to break them down by letting them go so we can replace them with healthier ones.
Belief Discovery Exercise
Part 1: Take a second to finish these sentences:
- When I see other women and compare my body to theirs, I feel that my body is _____________.
- When I think about wearing a bathing suite on a beach I feel _____________.
- When I think about my body and my weight I feel _________________.
These are just a few of the many questions that can help you to figure out some of your beliefs about your body (which are all things that you can use the Tapping for).
Part 2 – What about patterns that you’ve established? How would you finish these questions:
- I can’t stay on a diet because ______________.
- When I’m on a diet I feel ______________.
- I can’t lose weight because I’m ________________.
Part 3 – And what about traumas from your past? How would you finish these questions.
- If there was an event, situation or experience from my past that made me feel most uncomfortable about my body, it would be ____________________.
- When I think about the part of my body that I most dislike, the words I use to describe that part to myself are _________________.
- When I think about feeling vulnerable, naked or sexual with a partner, the emotion that comes up for me is _________.
The answers to these questions and questions like these can help you to begin to discover the unconscious blocks preventing you from losing weight.
These two things combined mean that when you’re stressed you make worse decisions about what to eat, breaking your eating and exercise habits, and then you struggle to digest quickly, putting on more weight!
A Roadmap for Tapping for Weight Loss
Jessica Ortner – Author, and Practitioner
Jessica, from the Tapping first family Ortner’s, has put together a package based on her vast knowledge and experience of EFT, and her own personal struggle with self-image and weight loss/weight gain. Her program looks very impressive, but just by looking at the outline of her course we can glean a “Roadmap” if you will to Tapping for Weight Loss.
Each week, you can target a new path to clear before your feet, before yourself, and your journey towards wellness, and the “Image” of your true body.
- Week 1: Setting Yourself Up For Success
- Week 2: Emotional Eating and Cravings
- Week 3: Finding the Joy in Exercise
- Week 4: The Pain Under the Weight
- Week 5: The Power of Self-Care and Emotional Pleasure
- Week 6: Rewriting Your Body Story
- Week 7: Moving Forward – Reinforcing New Habits for Ultimate Results
If you’re inspired by this opportunity to learn more about Tapping and EFT, then you’re in luck. The Ortners have produced a widely successful, and popular coaching program that is ABSOLUTELY FREE to register for and participate in.
(Full Disclosure: TMC.org is an affiliate for the TWS as you can buy advanced media and access packages and if you do so we will be compensated for our referral. But please note, our recommendation can not be bought. And we highly recommend both Tapping, and The Tapping World Summit).
Join over 500,000 participants and some of the most inspiring leaders and coaches today. Learn to use Tapping for Weight Loss today.
References about Tapping and Weight Loss