The Master Cleanse is powerful in its simplicity. Although very few ingredients are required, the quality of the ingredients is important.
Every one of The Master Cleanse Ingredients should be:
- Organic grade
- Unrefined with no preservatives
The point is to remove chemicals from your system, to eliminate toxins. Your common sense should tell you that canned lemon juice does not have the same nutritional content as fresh squeezed. It should also tell you that organic is free from chemicals and pesticides. The maple syrup will need to be full of nutrients too, and this means no Aunt Je-my-god-this-is-so-refined-sugary-crap maple syrup. Get whole foods. Unrefined foods.
The Master Cleanse Ingredients
The diet itself is also simple and requires only five ingredients. You will want to make sure you have at least several days worth of supplies. I have been caught without maple syrup before and have had to make a dash for a whole foods retailer late one night. This is your nourishment, and simply, if you don’t have it you can’t eat, so be prepared. I shop for a whole week. That can be up to 20 lemons, and 1 liter of maple syrup. In a few months, we will be offering a starter kit that will include all items except the lemons.
- Organic Lemons
- Organic Grade B Maple Syrup
- Organic Cayenne Pepper
- Organic unrefined Sea Salt
- Purified Water
For the Lemonade Diet recipe, go to our Lemonade Diet page.
Lemons for the Lemonade Diet
- many minerals and vitamins – C, B-5, B-6
- digestive enzymes
How many lemons will I need for 10 days of Lemonade diet?
Maple Syrup for the Lemonade Diet
- This is the ingredient in the Master Cleanse that will provide you with the calories and the energy to to fuel your body during the cleanse.
- Maple Syrup was chosen by Stanley Burroughs for specific reasons (as was every other ingredient –Fresh Lemon Juice, Cayenne Pepper and Pure Water). It was chosen because it is a very high quality, concentrated source of energy when consumed in its purest state (as close to right-from-the-tree as possible) and is packed full of: nutrients, minerals and vitamins. For the list of all the specific nutrients, please go to our Maple Syrup Page.
- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT : There are generally 4 grades of Maple syrup. You can also see this grading expressed in the different colours of Maple syrup available on the market. Grade B is actually the highest quality of syrup for the Master Cleanse, and the best choice possible. If it is not available for you, get the darkest grade you can.
Maple syrup provides nutrients, calories and energy
Inevitably someone always asks what an acceptable substitute might be. I will list the most common ones, but let me be clear: RICH MAPLE SYRUP IS BEST :)
- Sorghum Syrup – Stanley Burroughs approved
- Sugar Cane – Stanley Burroughs approved
- Blackstrap Molasses – An alternative For Diabetics.
- Coconut Nectar – The newest addition to this list. It is 100 % raw, vegan, low glycemic, low fructose, very nutritious as well as has neutral PH.
Cayenne Pepper for the Lemonade Diet
Cayenne Pepper is so critical to The Master Cleanse and Lemonade Diet that it is sometimes called the Cayenne Pepper Diet. Cayenne Pepper is a Super Food.
Cayenne Pepper is a vegetable and we get our powder for The Lemonade Diet from grinding up a dried specific type of red pepper. Still, many refer to cayenne pepper as an herb. In fact, herbologist and herbalists say that Cayenne Pepper is The Master Herb. Perhaps this is where Stanley Burroughs came up with the name “The Master Cleanser.”
Why Cayenne Pepper is The Master of The Master Cleanse Ingredients
Cayenne Pepper has many wonderful properties:
- It is a stimulant which raises the metabolism (something that is important when not digesting food).
- It increases circulation, which is very helpful when cleansing because one often feels slightly cool, likely due to the low metabolism which results from not digesting food.
- Cayenne Pepper also acts as a blood thinner and purifier, which can help with digestion.
Pure Water for the Lemonade Diet
The quality of your water during the Master Cleanse is the key to great results.You probably know that your body uses water to flush and transport toxins to the organs of elimination ( The colon, bladder, lungs, skin and so on…) to discharge them. Latest scientific research shows that many health problems can be significantly improved, or completely eliminated, with just an adequate consumption of good water. To learn more about the healing power of water, read our recent articles on this topic.
We recommend 3 ways to ensure your water is pure and appropriate for the Cleanse:
- You can use a Water Ionizer
- Install good Water Filter for your tap water
- Or check your local health-food store for Purified Bottled Water
What about distilled water?
There are a few very common mistakes that can prevent you from succeeding and completing the Master Cleanse program. It is very easy to avoid these and you can learn more about that in our recent article. Happy Cleansing everyone!
To complete the diet, very little in terms of equipment or apparatus is required. All items are small, taking up very little space in your cupboard and counter. They are all simple and easy to clean, and should not provide you with any excuses for not starting.
- 12″ Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Hand Juicer
- Tablespoon Measure
- 3 – 1 Liter Chug-gables
Putting it all together: Video
Here is a video showing exactly what ingredients to buy and how to make the lemonade.